Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Port Townsend Afternoon: High Tea at Pippa's

Since I wrote this, Pippa retired and sold her teahouse, which now is Cafe Tenby. I'm not sure if they will continue the high tea tradition after the pandemic. 

Here in the Pacific Northwest, an English-style High Tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, B.C. is an iconic regional experience. Many here have fond memories of the High Tea with their mothers, grandmothers, aunties, or the whole family. Last summer I took my niece up there for the day, and we relished the splurge.

However, for an equally special indulgence at about half the price and with more refined tea, try the High Tea at Pippa's Real Tea in Port Townsend, Washington, which lies south across the Strait of Juan de Fuca from Victoria.

When I studied abroad in England, I used to splurge on the marvelous tea with jam, clotted cream, and scones. On an earlier visit to Pippa's this year, when she mentioned their authentic clotted cream (she spent 3 months perfecting the recipe) and fresh scones with tea, I knew I had to come back. 

So I invited my niece Willa to join me again. When we arrived for our 3 pm reservations last Saturday afternoon, we were ushered back to a table set with fresh linen and flowers. (Must say, at the Empress High Tea last summer, our table wasn't as tastefully draped with linen like at Pippa's.)


With an impressive selection of black, green, white, and herbal teas to choose from, Willa went for the white peach tea and I chose my fav, jasmine pearls. When I said I was having a hard time deciding on a tea, our friendly server mentioned I could just have another pot of different tea later. (Unlimited tea is part of the High Tea service.)

Light and crisp jasmine pearls tea.
Then an enticing three-tiered tray full of artfully arranged treats arrived and the nibbling began. On top was a variety of little tarts, shortbread, cookies, and fresh berries. In the middle were several petite fresh scones with that dee-lish clotted cream and berry jam, and little tea sandwiches rounded out the feast.




It was indeed a feast for the senses. I enjoyed a couple mini-sandwiches (chicken salad, egg salad, cream cheese and pickles, salmon salad), a small currant scone slathered with clotted cream and jam, and a cookie. Then I exceeded capacity with a tiny chocolate tart and slice of shortbread.

I think perhaps drinking a whole pot of jasmine tea pretty quickly filled me up too. But it was so crisp, floral, and perfectly brewed.

My aunt and Willa's great aunt Sylvia, a Port Townsend local, joined us for tea, and Pippa stopped by our table to say hello.  When my niece mentioned an upcoming environmental studies trip to South Africa, Pippa enthusiastically offered her samples of several South African roibos teas to take home.

Pippa!

While I certainly can't indulge in a high tea more than once a year or so, it was a lovely afternoon in a lovely little town with my niece (who'll be off to college soon) and my aunt. Two thumbs up for Pippa and her beautiful teas.

When You Go
High tea is served at Pippa's on Saturday afternoons at 1 pm and 3 pm for $38/person. Reservations are required. A less expensive alternative is the cream tea offered daily, which includes two scones with clotted cream and jam and unlimited tea  for $15 and doesn't require reservations. Or stop in and enjoy a pot of tea with a variety of baked goods or snacks. Pippa's is open Wednesday through Sunday, 10:00 – 5:00 (ish) at 636 Water Street in Port Townsend.









.










2 comments:

Mab said...

Thanks for the tip Jill! Gotta go with my girls. Maybe you could join us and be our tea guide?

jill said...

Mab! Of course! Would love to go up there with you and the girls.