Saturday, January 12, 2019

January Reset: Inspiration Outside

Do you enter each new year with resolutions, lofty goals, a desire to take stock?

I usually look forward to the promise of a new year and new possibilities. Do I always succeed in effecting positive change? Nope.  But that doesn't stop me from trying to start fresh each year, each day. 

With a forecast for clear skies and unseasonably mild weather, this morning I felt drawn northward to the splendid convergence of sea, forest, and rocky cliffs at Deception Pass State Park. I filled my pack with a sketch pad and pencils, fresh journal, and book of Zen koans. And of course my cameras.


When I parked beachside at Bowman Bay, there were only two other cars in the lot and the sun hadn't crested the cliffs to the east. So I bundled up with hat, scarf, and gloves and took off walking down the beach trail.

Soon I passed an enchanting, quiet little wetland with a rich forest backdrop, where I had to pause and shoot. Perhaps the book I'm reading has infused my mind with forest spirits (The Bear and the Nightingale), but I could envision faeries lurking in the woods nearby. :)


As I tramped onward, the trail switchbacked up and over a cliff and back down to a narrow isthmus separating Bowman Bay from another tidal wetland. I briefly stepped down to the beach, just beginning to reveal itself after high tide, before continuing up into the woods.


My goal was a quiet, somewhat isolated spot to sit and meditate, contemplate, and hit the reset button for the still new year, with good intentions. Along the way, the views were as usual exhilarating.



After passing above a few lovely coves (where I've kayaked), I settled under a fir tree with a sweeping view west looking up the Strait of Juan de Fuca.


I sat and tried to meditate, but I was distracted by some voices nearby, and then a ftp ftp ftp noise from a flock of ducks half flying/skipping across the water surface below. 

I pulled out my sketch pad and drew a rough approximation of the island offshore. Then I pulled out the book and read a koan and commentary (more on that later). And I tried to contemplate and clear my mind.

But, well, as is usually the case, there was no great, clear inspiration. There was...okay, I've sat here about half an hour; I should be getting going now. 

So I packed up and continued along the trail through thickets of healthy green salal.


I didn't get the clarity I was hoping for or any grand epiphanies. But I'm not going to let it bother me much.

What I did get today was a renewed sense of connection with the land I love. And an ongoing commitment to honor that by getting out as much as possible, sharing it with you, and striving to touch others with the goal of doing what we can to protect and treasure our untamed places.

And I got to pet this handsome guy, who enthusiastically asked for attention.


May 2019 be a good year for us all. May we be vigilant and fight things (new policies, unsustainable development, overuse, etc.) that could harm our precious environment and natural resources. And may we not take it all too seriously all the time.

So how do you like to approach the new year? Just another day? New goals?

Happy trails and thanks for visiting Pacific Northwest Seasons! 

In between blog posts, visit Pacific NW Seasons on FaceBook, Twitter, and Instagram for more Northwest photos and outdoors news.


 When You Go
Deception Pass State Park is at the northern end of Whidbey Island and southern tip of Fidalgo Island, north of Seattle, Washington. With no traffic on an early Saturday morning, my drive from north Seattle was not much more than an hour. You need a Washington State Discover Pass to park.




8 comments:

RG said...

Bowman Bay has had quite a change during the past very few years. All of the large boulder rip-rap armoring between the boat launch and the long dock has been removed and native shrubs and grass is being planted and nurtured along the upper beach. It is once again becoming a "natural" beach with sand and pebbles and driftwood and grass with much better habitat opportunity for migrating salmon fry and forage fish spawning. The effort has involved numerous organizations and hundreds of volunteers and has been most inspirational for those of us involved! Thanks for the great pictures .. it is a wonderful place.

jill said...

Hey Rabbit's Guy, that's great! I noticed. It was much nicer and more natural. Interestingly, there was a thick layer of green seaweed and even some kelp stalks along a section of the trail near the footbridge and extending beyond the trail a bit further inland. I assumed this was from one of the recent windstorms. Yes, it is indeed one of my favorite places.

Sylvia said...

Splendid photos, Jill. As usual, you bring the experience hoe to those of us who can't get out and around so much any ore. Thanks.

RG said...

That "wrack" is all good habitat and food for little critters high on the beach and they become all part of the food chain that eventually the Southern Resident Orcas depend on via salmon. When the beach is armored with rocks or bulkheads that stuff does not collect because the waves reflect back with too much energy and move on back out! Especially from our winter-time winds.

jill said...

Thanks Sylvia! I'm glad I could bring some of my experience to you.

Rabbit's Guy, letl's hope all these restored shorelines add up to a difference in the greater ecosystem in time for the Southern Residents to benefit.

Anonymous said...

Hey, a new year. I have been noticing and appreciated living in a saltwater environment, wondering how I was going to feel about a river environment as we move to Portland. Certainly closer to the farm and an enhanced opportunity to increase my production of fruit and veg. Last year was a bumper crop of squash, potatoes and certainly tomatoes. Looking forward to things like peas, green beans - closer to harvest those short season items. But it’s time to get out of Seattle- my big house with it’s big view is much better suited to a family and the neighborhood profits from kids. Getting more of them every day. Time to shift gears and put more energy into feeding people good quality food. Still want to meet for coffee and carbs, not moving until sometime in May or June. Love to read your writing and really enjoy your photos. Mary lou

jill said...

Thanks mary lou! I'll email you about coffee soon. Good food, the best.

Unknown said...

Jill... I loved this looking back to look forward post...and it dawned on me...while I was intently focused on the blog text and related photos, the pictures we scroll past from previous blogs on the left hand side of the page echo all that you write, because year after year after year you fill this BlogSpot with imagery and history and the magic of our beloved Pacific Northwest. I bet The Mountaineers would take you on as an author...if you had a book proposal...your body of work represents all that they stand for. (a 15,000+ member community of people exploring, learning, and conserving the Pacific Northwest together by finding confidence and belonging in the outdoors.) Love from your #1 fan from AlaBAM!!