Monday, November 19, 2018

Gratitude 2018

At Thanksgiving time, I'm once again challenging myself to write about gratitude, as I've done numerous times over the years here at Pacific Northwest Seasons. 

Some days/years it's harder than others to muster the enthusiasm to come up with an inspirational post. Sometimes I have to battle my inner grinch, who has been stoked this year on several fronts. 

But then, when I start pondering, the good stuff wells up pretty quickly. So for starters, I'm grateful to have been born, raised, and spent most of my life in such a spectacular corner of the world. 

When I was a shell-shocked little girl who had lost her mother, I was nurtured by the abundant and healthy western red cedars that grew close around our home. Many nights while the East Wind blew fiercely down the Columbia River Gorge, the branches of an old growth cedar brushed against my bedroom window like comfort, as if to say, I'm old and sturdy and here; I'm never going to leave.

Some of the cedars on the grounds of my childhood home.

So for my "totem" tree (thuja plicata) and especially the tree that still stands strong outside my childhood bedroom window, I'm grateful.

Last night I had dinner with dear "framily" friends. Spending time with these longtime friends, in whose presence I can totally relax, is another balm for my soul. I feel grateful to have numerous such friends, so for all of them, I'm very grateful. I hope you, too, have such friends.

The two in the rear. And many more!
I've been self-employed for 15 years now as a writer/editor. Over the course of those years, I've had the opportunity to work on some interesting projects and meet smart, fun, and dynamic people. For the work and the people I've met along the way, I'm grateful.


Currently working on a Gas Works Park project in Seattle.
I've done some fantastic hikes this year and spend many weekends in and around Leavenworth, Washington. It's such a pleasure to have leisurely time in one place rather than zipping through en route to the trailhead. For the beauty of the north-central Cascades and the friendly community of the Wenatchee Valley, I'm grateful.


View up Icicle Creek Canyon

For the numerous communities I'm involved with, including the regulars for morning coffee/tea at Preserve&Gather in north Seattle, I'm grateful. Because community is the glue that holds together civilizations.


Early morning at Preserve&Gather, our table waiting to be filled with camaraderie.

As I sit here at the keyboard and think about my gratitudes, the list grows. So much to be grateful for! Good books, bad jokes, my family and loved ones, the double-edged sword of social media (yes, have reconnected with some childhood friends), morel mushrooms, the kindness of strangers, belly laughs, fall colors, art in its myriad forms.....

 Just think of everyone's list together, and it's infinite.

I would be honored if you share some of your gratitudes in a comment below.

May everyone have a place to call home.
Wishing you and yours a lovely Thanksgiving and holiday season, whether it be boisterous and hectic or quiet.

Happy trails and thanks for visiting Pacific Northwest Seasons! 

In between blog posts, visit Pacific NW Seasons on FaceBook, Twitter, and Instagram for more Northwest photos and outdoors news.









12 comments:

Mab said...

I'm grateful for your friendship Jill- you're perspective on life and it's little moments inspire me.

jill said...

Back at you Mab! Thanks for taking the time to comment. Xoxo

jill said...

Suezy! I'm grateful for your thoughtful comments, and of course your friendship, which is partly sustained via social media. Agree with your gratitudes. I thought of mentioning books. But health, yea. The foundation. Have a lovely Thanksgiving! Xoxo

RG said...

Nice writing - it has been tough and tempting to be grouchy!

If you have not, check out the Icicle Creek Center for the Arts on the campus of The Sleeping Lady in Leavenworth. Often some enticing offerings there in a grand setting! (Blatant promoting since a family member works there!)

jill said...

Hey Rabbit's Guy, thanks for the comment! Yes, love Icicle Creek/Sleeping Lady complex.

Unknown said...

Well said, Jill. I too am grateful for friends and family (including four-footed furry family), good health, and all the other blessings that come my way. I am reminded of my good fortune every day as I walk through downtown and see so many people that are struggling with mental health issues, drug/alcohol addiction, and homelessness. I wish them all the best and hope maybe someday we will find the right solutions to help them. That would be a true blessing.

Anne said...

Going through a very rough patch so reading this column was uplifting. Yes our home in Oregon was a wonderful tumble of trees, rhododendrons, and other things that kept our air fresh. We have suffered some unexpected and heartbreaking losses but I can't help but think we will be reunited someday, hopefully. Siblings help and am glad you are my BBCF. And I think most of all grateful for my children and my adorable Husky fan two year old granddaughter who is charming and happy always.

Anonymous said...

My dear Jill, I am grateful for your presence in my life, it’s been years. A wonderful gift has been your lovely blog posts about the farm. We love them. A gem from Ram Dass (evergreen hippy that I am) we are all walking each other home. Bless you dear.

Joyce C. said...

Hi Jill,
I love your pictures and him thankful for them. I am also thankful to live in a beautiful area of the world. I am thankful to be healthy and part of this amazing creation that we call, “life” and all that that entails. Im thankful for the beauty of nature. I’m thankful for my adorable 2 1/2 year old grandson who has brought so much love and connection to my family.
These are at least a few things of the many that I’m thankful for.
I hope you have a fun and peaceful Thanksgivings by and Holiday season to come.
Joyce ��������

ron said...

I'm grateful to read your heartfelt writing. The "totem" for me is apprecation on many levels. Thanks for the reminder!

jill said...

Anne, ah I'm glad reading my blog was uplifting for you. xoxo BBCF

Joyce, thanks for sharing, lovely!

Anonymous (Mary Lou?) and anonymous, thanks for your comments. What a beautiful quote from Ram Dass. and yes, lovely sentiments about all those struggling, wishing solutions for all those struggling.

Simone said...

Dear Jill,
As we are driving north to Port Townsend, leaving the San Francisco Bay Area behind us, I must admit I am most grateful for fresh air and our good fortune to have family in the Pacific NorthWest who is looking forward to our visit.
A low Air Quality Index, often taken for granted, yet so vital to our health has gained new meaning for me and a so needed renewed awareness.
I am humbled and stunned, over and over again., for the many situations, people and places in my life that bring loving kindness and a deep sense of gratitude to the surface.
At my work, we have put up a huge white board where clients, patients and staff write and draw words of gratitude. Every few weeks as I wipe the board, I feel the loving energy these particles of colored dust leave behind.
Namaste
Simone