Friday, December 24, 2010

Happy Holidays!

Here on the west side of the Cascade Mountains, it’s a typical Christmastime – sorta raining, damp, chilly but not freezing, with temps hovering between the low 40s and 50s (Fahrenheit). There’s plenty of snow just an hour or so away in the mountains, though.

Are you ready for the holidays? No matter how much I plan ahead, I’m always running around at the last minute, sometimes buying random gifts that I don’t even give, just in case (I’m heading out as soon as I post this).

I’ll be cooking on Christmas for family. How about you? Although I love to pull together tasty and interesting meals for guests, it will be a push to get it all done by the time everyone arrives mid-afternoon. I’ll be pretty tired when it’s all over.


But even though my family is not overtly sentimental, affectionate, or expressive (it’s that Protestant-Scandinavian heritage), I’ll sense the love in little smiles and glimpses, or the way we all enjoy hearing the elders repeat funny family stories once again.

So of course it’s all worth it, even if I never do use the occasional odd gift (I really don’t need an electric juicer since I rarely drink juice).

I truly hope you have a lovely holiday season, and that we’re all imbued with the loving intent behind all the frenzy.

Peace,
jill

No comments: